Ensuring the safety of your money is difficult without a bank account. Having a bank account makes it easier to save and track your finances.
Need a bank account? We can help!
- Second Chance Banking
- Bank On Spokane
Second Chance Banking
Second Chance Banking helps restore banking privileges to people who are unable to get a checking or savings account, usually due to prior overdrafts. This program can also help people who have never had a bank account and need help learning how to use one, or who are threatened with losing their account.
SNAP partners with local credit unions to help you get a bank account. To qualify for Second Chance Banking, you must not have current outstanding debts or delinquencies with these credit unions.
How to restore your banking privileges:
- Attend a two-hour Money Management class “Give Yourself a Raise”.
- Get your free savings account, along with free direct deposit of your paycheck if you choose.
You will open two savings accounts — one for your daily needs and one for saving for future needs. You will also get free money orders to use for paying your bills until you get your checking account.
- Get Money Management coaching where you will prepare a budget, discuss your financial goals, review your credit report and prepare a plan for building credit, disputing any errors, and reaching your goals.
- After three months, get an ATM card.
After you have been participating in the program and keeping a positive balance in your savings account for three months, we will recommend to your credit union that you receive an ATM card. (The final decision rests with the credit union.)
- After six months get a checking account.
After you have been participating in the program, keeping a positive balance in your savings account, and making payments toward your delinquent debts for six months, we will recommend to your credit union that you receive a checking account. (The final decision rests with the credit union.)
- After one year of successful banking you will “graduate” to full credit union privileges.
Bank On Spokane
Bank On Spokane is an initiative of the Spokane CASH Coalition, a partnership of banks, credit unions, government, and community organizations in Spokane County. They work to bring low cost checking and savings accounts to everyone in our community. The goal is to help people keep more of their money for savings and building their dreams rather than paying very high fees for check cashing and other alternative financial services. They do this by offering access to low-cost, safe checking and savings accounts.