Energy Assistance FAQs Is down payment assistance available for purchasing a home?
  • Yes. If you meet income requirements, our Down Payment Assistance Program can help. This program provides the opportunity for a low-interest rate deferred-payment loan that supplements a traditional first mortgage and allows an applicant to have a more affordable house payment. Call 456.7106 for more information.
Can you help me if I’m struggling to make my mortgage payments?
  • If you’re the homeowner and you’re living in the home, we can help. Call 456.7106 to speak with one of our HUD-approved Housing Counselors today!
  • If you’re not the homeowner and you’re not living in the home, you might want to call NW Justice at 324.9187, or contact a local attorney.
How do I qualify for your first-time homebuyers program?
  • If your annual income is less than $99,000 and you haven’t purchased a home in the last three years, we can help. Call 456.7106 to sign up for a homebuyers seminar. Once you complete the classes you’ll receive a 2-year certificate (required by banks) and you can make an appointment with one of our housing counselors.
  • If you make more than $99,000 a year and you have purchased a home in the last three years, we can’t help you. Try calling local banks that do FHA loans.
Can you help me start or improve my small business?
  • If you’d like to learn more about the ways we can help you start or improve your small business, check out our webpages or call 456.7106.
I’m enrolled in the Self-Employment Assistance Program and would like to start a business. Can you help?
  • If you’re enrolled in the SEAP, we can help. This program allows you to work on starting a small business and still receive your unemployment benefits, without having to put in three applications per week. Contact our Financial Access Staff at 456.7106.
Can you help me if my car failed the emissions test?
  • If you have a current driver’s license and insurance, and if you’re the registered owner and haven’t gotten your new tabs yet, we can help. Call 456.7016 to schedule an appointment with Tammy. You’ll need to bring your driver’s license, proof on insurance, failed emissions slip and proof of monthly income to your appointment.
I have bad credit and want to make it better. Can you help?
  • If you’d like to sign up for a free Money Management or Understanding Your Credit class, or make an appointment for free one-on-one counseling, we can help. Call 456.7106 to sign up for a class.
  • We can’t help you with bankruptcy counseling.
Can you help me open open a bank account?
  • Our Second Chance Banking program can help you open a bank account. You’ll need to take a free Money Management class to qualify. Call 456.7106 to start the process.
  • If you’re  in the Check System or owe money to Numerica Credit Union, we can’t help you. You can contact banks in Spokane to see if they’re participating in Bank On Spokane.
I’m in the Relicensing Program and need a certificate. Can you help?
  • If you take our Money Management class, we can help. you’ll receive a certificate at the end of the class. Call 456.7016 to register for a class.