Energy Assistance FAQ

How do the different energy assistance programs vary?

Each subprogram within the Energy Assistance Program is funded differently, so eligibility rules and the amount of assistance may vary. Please refer to the specific programs for detailed information.

How much will SNAP pay?

The amount is based on:

  • the rules of the program(s) for which your household qualifies
  • your household income, size and type
  • the type of heat you have and your 12-month heating costs (electric, gas, wood or oil)

What if I receive a shut-off notice?

Call your utility company to find out if payment arrangements can be made. If you cannot work out an arrangement to keep your heat on, call any of SNAP’s Energy offices.

What kinds of energy assistance are available?

Depending on funding, SNAP may be able to assist with gas, electric, wood, propane, oil and other heat costs. All assistance is based on heating costs except the Senior Program, which can help with Avista electric and gas bills. For more information about emergency assistance please call any of SNAP’s Energy offices.

Do I get a check or does SNAP send it to my utility company?

SNAP typically sends payment directly to your utility company.

Can this program make my home more weatherproof or energy efficient?

SNAP may be able to help reduce your heating or cooling costs by weatherizing your home.
Weatherproofing may include installing insulation, weather stripping and caulking.

SNAP also provides conservation education classes to help you learn how to reduce heating and cooling costs. Please go see our Weatherization program pages for further information or call any SNAP office.

My heating system is broken. Can SNAP help?

If you are a renter, contact your landlord. If you are a low-income homeowner, SNAP may be able to repair or replace your broken heating system. For more information about home heating repair or replacement please call any SNAP office.

How do I apply for assistance?

Call any of SNAP’s Energy offices where staff will help determine your household eligibility and what assistance may be available. Depending on program funding and availability, SNAP may be able to schedule an appointment for you, direct you to where you may make an appointment yourself or refer you to other resources. One current resource is 211; call 211 from a landline or 1-877-211-9274 from a cell phone.

Heating Assistance – FAQ

Can I use the online calendar to make an appointment for any other SNAP assistance program?
No, you must call the SNAP office closest to you to make appointments for ALL other SNAP services. You may only make an Energy Assistance (EAP) appointment at this site.

What if I have energy questions that are not answered on this web site?
Call any SNAP Energy office. See locations and phone numbers below.

What if I prefer an appointment at another location or an over-the-phone appointment?
Phone appointments are usually limited to those households without any transportation, those who are home-bound or the very elderly. Call: (509) 242-2376 (Note: this number is only activated when energy appointments are available). You can also call any SNAP Energy office to inquire if other days and times are available.

Expect the phone lines to be extremely busy for the first several weeks after appointments open.

How often can I get (EAP) Energy Assistance?
Once per heating season (October 1 of current year to June of following year, if funding is available). Other emergency services may be avaialbe, call any SNAP office for additional information.

How is a heating season defined?
A heating season runs from October of one calendar year through June of the following calendar year depending on when the funding becomes available and how quickly it is spent out.

Do I have to have an emergency?
No, not for the Energy Assistance program.

Are subsidized households eligible?
Yes, for the Energy Assistance program but not for the Emergency Assistance program (Project Share).

Can I receive assistance with my gas/propane/oil heat and with my electric?
Yes, the program allows for a split of an energy grant. Your primary heat vendor (gas/propane/oil) must receive at least 51% of a household heat grant, with no more then 49% going to a secondary vendor (electric).

How is my energy grant calculated?
Your grant is based on many factors, such as: total household income (for the three previous months from the date of application), the total number of people in the home, housing type and 12 months’ previous heat usage. The current amount you owe is not used in the calculation of your grant.

What type of documentation do I need to bring with me to the interview?
Income documentation is required for all adults (18 years and over) living in the household and verification of monies received for children under 18 (for the 3 previous months from the date of application). Verification of social security numbers for all adults, residence address, annual heat costs or current heat bill, and, if in crisis, a disconnection notice. Adult household members with no income will be required to sign zero-income documentation and should come with you to the appointment. Other documentation may be required.


212 W. Second
Spokane, WA 99201
Tel: 509-744-3370     Fax: 509-744-3374
     M-W:  8am to 4:30pm     Th: 10:30am to 4:30pm     Closed M-F: Noon to 1pm
Northeast Community Center (Seasonal)
4001 N. Cook
Spokane, WA  99207
Tel: 509-487-1114     Fax: 509-462-8028
     M-W:  8am to 6pm     Th: 10:30am to 6pm     Fri: 8am to 4:30pm     Closed M-F: Noon to 1pm
Spokane Valley Partners (Seasonal)
10814 E. Broadway Avenue
Spokane Valley, WA  99206
Tel: 509-926-1054     Fax: 509-926-1912
     M-W:  8am to 4:30pm     Th: 10:30am to 4:30pm     Closed M-F: Noon to 1pm