Frequently Asked Questions

Can I use the online calendar to make an appointment for any other SNAP assistance program?
No, you must call your local SNAP office that serves your zip code to make appointments for ALL other SNAP services. You may only make an energy assistance (EAP) appointment at this site.

What if I have energy questions that are not answered on this web site?
Call any of the following SNAP offices: Northeast at 487-1114, East at 456-7106, Downtown at 744-3370 or the Energy Certification Office at 456-7111 x1.

What do I do if I prefer an appointment at another location or an over the phone appointment?
The ability to change an appointment is extremely limited; call the office you would like to change it too, to see if there are any available appointments at that location.
Phone appointments are currently limited.

How often can I get (EAP) energy assistance?
Once per heating season (October 1st of current year to June of following year, if funding is available).

How is a heating season defined?
A heating season runs from October of one calendar year through June of the following calendar year depending on when the funding becomes available and how quickly it is spent out.

Do I have to have a heating emergency?

Are subsidized households eligible?

Can I receive assistance with my gas/propane/oil heat and with my electric?
Yes, the program allows for a split of an energy grant. Your primary heat vendor (gas/propane/oil) must receive at least 51% of a household heat grant, with no more than 49% going to a secondary vendor (electric).

How is my energy grant calculated?
Your grant is based on many factors: such as total household income (for the 3 previous months from the date of application), the total number of people in the home, housing type and 12 months previous heat usage. The current amount you owe is not used in the calculation of your grant.

What type of documentation do I need to bring with me to the interview?
Income documentation is required for all adults, 18 years and over and verification of monies received for children under 18 (for the 3 previous months from the date of application). Verification of social security numbers for all persons in the household (including children), residence address, annual heat costs or current heat bill and if in crisis a disconnection notice. Adult household members with no income will be required to sign zero income documentation and should come with you to the appointment. Other documentation may be required.

Does heating assistance help with furnace repairs?
Households that are Owner occupied may qualify for furnace repairs. The heating assistance program can Not help with furnace repairs for rental properties.